January Unemployment Rate 7.7 PercentThursday, March 07, 2013 | 01:30 pm
TENNESSEE GAINS 7,600 JOBS FROM DECEMBER TO JANUARY
NASHVILLE – Tennessee Commissioner of Labor & Workforce Development Karla Davis announced today Tennessee’s unemployment rate for January was 7.7 percent, which increased one tenth of one percentage point from the December revised rate of 7.6 percent. The national unemployment rate for January 2013 was 7.9 percent, and also increased by one tenth of one percent from the previous month.
• Tennessee’s January unemployment rate is the lowest January rate since 2008.
• Over the past year, Tennessee’s unemployment rate declined from 8.2 percent to 7.7 percent.
• The number of employed persons (2,891,100) is the highest since December 2007.
• Total nonfarm employment increased 7,600 jobs from December to January. Increases occurred in administrative/support/waste services, retail trade, and education/health services.
• Total nonfarm employment increased 56,200 jobs from January 2012 to January 2013. Increases occurred in professional/business services, trade/transportation/utilities, leisure/hospitality, and manufacturing.
- ### -