Federal Preservation Grant Applications Now Available Through Tennessee Historical CommissionWednesday, June 13, 2012 | 09:44 am
NASHVILLE – The Tennessee Historical Commission is accepting grant applications for historic preservation projects for the 2012-2013 fiscal year. These grants, which are federally funded, will be available after October 1, 2012.
The precise amount of funds available in Tennessee will not be known until Congress has passed the FY 2012-2013 budget. However, it is expected to be approximately $400,000. After review, applications will be rated and ranked. Funding decisions will be made when the exact amount of the federal allocation is known. This normally occurs by December but could be as late as spring 2013.
The selection process will emphasize projects conducting architectural, archaeological and historic site surveys. Such projects are designed to identify and to record historic districts, sites, buildings, structures and objects built before 1960 that are significant to Tennessee's history. Surveys may be for a specific geographic area or for sites associated with themes or events significant in the state's history, such as the development of railroads in the 19th century or the development of motor tourism in the 20th century. Priorities for funding survey projects will include areas that are experiencing rapid growth and development or other threats to cultural resources, areas where there are serious gaps in knowledge regarding cultural resources and thematic surveys based upon existing historic study units produced by the State Historic Preservation Office.
Assistance is also available for other types of historic preservation projects. These projects may include preservation planning studies for towns, neighborhoods and historic districts; preparation of nominations to the National Register of Historic Places; planning or pre-development work necessary to undertake restoration of an historic property; and restoration of historic properties. (For restoration or restoration pre-planning, properties must be listed on the National Register of Historic Places.) Applications for projects to prepare nominations to the National Register of Historic Places are a priority and are especially encouraged.
The grants will pay for up to 60 percent of the costs of approved project work. The grant recipient must provide the remaining 40 percent of the costs as matching funds.
Completed applications must be postmarked by September 1, 2012. Applications for grants are available from the Tennessee Historical Commission, 2941 Lebanon Road, Nashville, Tennessee 37243-0442. Applications also may be downloaded from the Historical Commission’s website at www.tn.gov/environment/hist/federal/preservation_grants.shtml.
For more information about the Tennessee Historical Commission, please call (615) 532-1550 or visit their website at www.tn.gov/environment/hist/.